1. What you need to know before making an application for a student visa?

What are the conditions to be considered a student?

You are a student if you come to Spain with the aim of studying, doing an internship or doing research work in a Spanish establishment officially recognised whether it is for educational or scientific purposes and whether it is private or public.

Who is eligible to obtain a visa to study in Spain?

The students living in countries that don’t have agreements with Spain have to complete a visa application for their studies. (See the list of these countries below.) Furthermore, the students who don’t need a visa for a period of 90 days will still have to complete a visa application if they wish to stay longer. Finally, the students who come from the Schengen area or from Switzerland won’t need a Spanish study visa.

What is the period of validity of the Spanish study visa?

The period of validity of the visa corresponds to the dates of the beginning and the end of your Spanish classes.

Can foreign student’s relatives get a visa for the same period?

The foreign students having obtained a study visa can indeed ask for a visa for their relatives to enter and stay in Spain during their studies or their research.

2. Get a visa – Steps:

2.1. Conditions:

– People living in the Schengen area and in Switzerland do not need a visa to study in Spain.

– People living in the following countries do not need a visa if the period of stay is shorter than 90 days. Albania, Andorra, Former Yugoslav Republic Of Macedonia, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, South Korea, Costa Rica, Chile, El Salvador, United States, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Saint Kitts and Nevis, San Marino, Vatican, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Uruguay, Venezuela.

– If these conditions aren´t applicable to you, you will have to complete a visa application to come to study at AIL Malaga.

2.2. Steps to obtain a study visa:

1st step: Consult your consulate or your Spanish embassy of your place of residence about Spanish visa requirements (at least 120 days before your departure.)

2nd step: Join one of the Spanish courses at AIL Malaga, by indicating your nationality and the specific study visa requirements in your country. We will send you the same day a certificate of enrolment (study visa invitation letter) to our Spanish courses.

3rd step: The certificate of enrolment to our Spanish courses is very important. It guarantees that you have registered on our courses, that you have paid all the fees, specifies the dates of your stay etc. It will be requested by the embassy or the consulate of your place of residence at the time of your application visa.

Note: no certificate of enrolment will be given without the payment of the whole fee of the course.

Documents to be supplied at the time of our visa application*:

  • 4 recent passport photos
  • A passport that is valid with a minimum of 6 months before the expiry date
  • A completed visa application form
  • A certificate of enrolment from AIL Malaga
  • A certificate of a place of residence in Spain. This certificate will be supplied by AIL Malaga
  • A medical certificate guaranteeing that you are immune against yellow fever, cholera and the plague. Furthermore it has to guarantee that you are free of mental illness and drug addictions. A translation into Spanish can be requested.
  • A private health insurance policy.
  • A certificate of a clean police record, a translation into Spanish can be requested. Get the certificate in the police station of your place of residence. To get the certificate you have to live in the town for at least 6 months.
  • You have to attest that you are financially sound during your stay in Spain.
  • You can prove your financial situation with the certificate of enrolment which we will send you, with a letter of your legal guardians certifying that you are under their financial responsibility or have at least €1000 in your bank account or in holiday vouchers.

*Note: This information may be incomplete and subject to change. The documents to supply for a visa application are often updated, that is why we recommend you to consult your Spanish embassy or consulate of your place of residence to have the precise information about the documents to supply.

For your visa application it will be necessary to comply with all the elements stated above and the Spanish visa invitation letter of AIL Malaga.

It is necessary to know that we are not the decision-makers in the process of obtaining your visa, only the Spanish embassy or the consulate decides to grant you the study visa.

If your visa application is refused we will return the fees that you paid except €200 that will serve to cover the administrative costs of your application. If you manage later to obtain a visa, you will not have to pay the administrative costs again.

We’re here to help! Contact one of our advisers